Friday, April 4, 2014

Kid's Pretend Store

Have you ever shopped for wood at the Home Depot scrap bins? You will find 'imperfect' wood cuts upto 70% off retail value. I get tons of my wood there. This time, I got all the wood I used for this store for less than $5. A few boards were free, hurray! They were really badly cut and had a few holes in them so I cut off the bad parts and used the good parts; I am happy they worked out great. I mean, you can see the imperfections in the store but they are minor. I am sure my kids don't mind.

Kids pretend store DIY ???????? DIY felt carrot cake, key lime pie, cupcakes, donuts, cookies, strawberry cake DIY kids play stand DIY felt food Pretend playThis picture was taken on my phone but I just had to share


 

 

Play Time Convertible Grocery Store & Lemonade Stand This grocery store/lemonade stand was my inspiration, Source


DIY play stand Ana white... and this DIY play stand found on Ana White


Here is my cut list:
Wood:
1 x 7 @ 26″ (2) – side boards
1 x 11.5 @ 30.5″  – Counter top
1 x 7.5 @ 28.5″ (2) – shelves
1 x 4 @ 28.5″  (1) – rung below counter
1 x 2 @ 28.5"  (1) – rung above bottom shelf
1 x 2 @ 26″ (2) – side posts


Plexiglass 28.5" x 18"
Cardboard box - 33" x 12"
Fabric - 34" x 24"


Tools:
Hammer
Finish nails
Glue gun
Jig Saw


Kids pretend store Join the two side boards (1 x 7 @ 26″) together with one 1 x 4 @ 28.5″ rung, using wood glue and nails.


???????? Attach the second support board 1 x 2 @ 28.5" on top where the counter will rest


???????? I am sure there is an easier way to make this store but I had to make use of the wood I had on hand, remember most of it came from the scrap bin thus the markings and uneven cuts


???????? Attach the shelf (1 x 7.5 @ 28.5″) right above the 1 x 4 @ 28.5″ rung. Then attach the counter top.


???????? Here is how it should look after the bottom shelf is attached. Once I had my basic box completed, I painted it using a regular paint brush with the colors red for the counter top and white for the rest


???????? Now, cut the tops of the side posts about 3" off at a 90 degree angle (as indicated in the picture). This will make the roof slope once added.


???????? Attach the posts onto the 2 side boards using glue and nails.


???????? I added plexiglass using my hot glue gun. I only attached it at the top and bottom (on the 28.5 x 1.5 strips).


???????? I added the plexiglass just for fun (its totally optional)


???????? This is the roof. I used a piece of cardboard box 33" x 12"


???????? Wrap the fabric as shown and once again I used hot glue to attach the fabric to the box. I use hot glue for almost everything:) It has never failed me


SONY DSCThen using a single nail, I attached the roof to the side posts


Kids pretend store DIYIt's a good size, my kids love it and I am glad it turned out well..


Check out my other popular DIY kids' pretend kitchen here, the doll crib here and Diana's Apron here


 

This store was featured on:



 

 

4 comments:

  1. What a fun idea. I know my kids would enjoy this. Where did you get those red plates?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I got them from Target. They have them in a few other colors too

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so talented. I love how the store turned out and those desserts are so adorable. I will have to check out the scrap bins at Home Depot on my next visit, that is a smart idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Whitney. I love how it turned out too. I highly recommend checking out the bins, they have been very good to me:)

    ReplyDelete