A doll crib was a perfect birthday present for my 3 year old daughter, Diana. She turned 3 on the 05/26/2013. I had all the supplies I needed for this little crib. I only spent $6
It turned out well and it is very loved. It's cute to see her put her baby to sleep every night after bedtime stories
Diana's favorite thing this past spring was picking up flowers. She picked every dandelion she could find around our home and gave them to me. Diana is the best daughter ever. She constantly cracks us up with her humor. She has a cute personality and is loved every where she goes. She is an awesome big sister to Eli and I love to watch them play together. I feel very blessed to have this little girl in my life.
For her birthday, I went online and searched for a perfect gift for her. I came across these cute doll cribs and knew Diana would enjoy playing with one. 1 - Overstock/2 - Pottery Barn
Then I went and searched for DIY cribs and I came across this awesome plan from Ana White, pictured below.
I tweaked the crib plan because I don't have a Kreg jig. I am noticing that almost every project calls for a Kreg Jig and its definitely on my Birthday/Christmas wishlist. I added a changing table and a place for her to store her baby's blankets and accessories.
Here are some pictures of the doll crib I made:
Instead of using the kreg jig, here is what I used:
1/4" Dowel pins
Drill driver with 1/4" speedbor flat bit
Wood glue
Using a drill driver with a flat bit, I made 1/4" holes in the rails and the base and top
Then I put together the 2 pieces (the rails and the bottom and top rails).
Then I stuck the dowel pins into the holes and added some glue.
The crib is very steady and am glad I didn't have to use the kreg jig. You can find the rest of the tutorial here
The doll crib from Pottery Barn and Overstock are around $75 each. The price is very reasonable, and I would have purchased either one of the cribs if I didn't have the supplies I needed to make one on my own. My doll crib cost $6, not too bad, right?
The instructions on how I made the changing table can be found here.
You did a very good job on the crib!. I have a Kreg jig, but "in the day" we didn't have such a thing. It is possible to do the same thing without one. You can use the spade bit (you referred to it as a flat bit), or a twist bit with a brad point, and simply drill your holes at a 45 degree angle. You can then use a screw (smaller hole) or a wood dowel pin. Anyway, just a thought. The crib is very nice. Your daughter is just beautiful! <3
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely adorable and a gift made with love is always the best!
ReplyDeleteCuter than cute!!! You did a wonderful job! Darling Diana is lucky to have such a great mom!
ReplyDeleteYour crib is beautiful! And, you probably made the bedding, too. Such a sweet gift from a handy mama to her sweet girl.
ReplyDeleteLynn, thank you so much for that info. I never even thought about that (can you tell that am a beginner)? I appreciate it:)
ReplyDeleteThanx Sue. I did make the bedding. I am glad that you like it.
ReplyDeleteThank you Kris. That means a lot to me, I appreciate it:)
ReplyDeleteThanx Riann, my mom made us clothes and most of our toys and I remember playing/ wearing them till I wore them out pretty good. So, I enjoyed making this crib for my daughter and I hope she will play with it 'forever'
ReplyDeleteYour build is so adorable. I love the addition of the changing table/storage. I found Ana's plans on her site and have built six of the cribs with different designs for each of my six grandnieces. Did you see plans for the high chair? It is a very cute and makes a nice addition to the doll crib. http://ana-white.com/2010/12/plans/doll-high-chair
ReplyDeleteThanx Linda. I just looked at the high chair and I love it. I am sure my daughter would love that too. Thanx for suggestion, I will surely look into making one.
ReplyDeleteWoodworking Projects
ReplyDeleteBaby Doll Crib
I'm loving this for my baby girl who will be 3 in January. But I'm not seeing how you did the changing table on the side, any directions you can give that would help? Thanks for the great idea and tutorial.
ReplyDeleteI am glad you like it. I forgot to take pictures of the changing table. I am packing and getting ready to move in a week. When we are settled I will try to put up drawings of what I did. Hopefully that will help..
ReplyDeleteWow! Do you have patterns for the bedding? I am a beginner when it comes to sewing and need all the help I can get. You did an amazing job!
ReplyDeleteI LOVE this!!! I was just about to order one when I came across yours and I'm going to attempt it(along with my handy dad). I can make the bedding no problem but what did you use for the mattress? Thanks and great job!!
ReplyDeleteThanx Kristy. I know you will love making this, your dad too. For the mattress, I used a foam pad I had around the house. I got it from Hobby Lobby here: http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/4-x-22-x-22-smart-foam-pad-985499/. I just cut off what i needed and still remained with plenty for another project I am working on. i would love to see pictures when you are done..
ReplyDeleteThanx Lisa. I didn't make a pattern for the bedding. I will be making my son's crib bedding hopefully before Christmas and I will share how I make them. The bumper, sheet and comforter are pretty easy to make even for a beginner..
ReplyDeletejust checking in with you about any directions you might be able to share after your move?
ReplyDeleteHi Sarah, I just finished working on a diagram to explain what I did. The post will be up tomorrow. Thanx for your patience. I appreciate it
ReplyDeleteSo beautiful, this is exactly what I've been looking for and have talked my husband in to making 2 of these cribs for our kids for Christmas. I'd love to make the bedding to go along with it. Did you use a pattern for the bedding that you can point me to?
ReplyDeleteI had a friend tell me the same thing the other day. She is going to have her husband make one of these. They really are so much fun for the kids and are easy to make.. I don't have a pattern for the bedding, I just looked at my son's bedding as a guide. I will be making crib bedding in January and I will put up a tutorial..
ReplyDeleteLove this. Wish I was crafty. You could sell these and make great money! I'd buy one!
ReplyDeleteThanx Kelly. I wish I had more time then I would do it:)
ReplyDeleteI think I'm missing something because I have not been able to see anything :(
ReplyDeleteHi Sarah, here is the link http://tinydazzlesblog.com/doll-crib-changing-table/
ReplyDeletePlease let me know if you have any more questions. Thanx
Where u get it from??
ReplyDeletecheap wow gold
ReplyDeleteMy own 11 yr old minor Adores all these cheap wow gold and produces these just about every single day!